Wednesday, January 5, 2011

When Narcissism Infects a Blogger, or 100 Things About Me

1. I was born in California in 1973.

2. My husband, Mark, and I share a birthday, though he is 3 years older.

3. He was born in a very small town in West Africa, the same town my parents were sent as missionaries 2 years after his birth.

4. I attended a boarding school for missionary kids in West Africa.

5. Mark went there too; we have known each other since I was in 3rd grade.

6. Besides West Africa and California, I have also lived in Canada,

7. Switzerland,

8. Alabama,

9. and Georgia.

10. I have a list in my head called "50 Places I Would Love to Live".

11. The top 3 on that list would probably be Italy; Australia; and [anywhere], Africa.

12. Connecticut is not on that list.

13. In September of 2010, we moved to Connecticut.

14. Thankfully, I like it here more than I ever thought I would.

15. Mark and I got married in 1995.

16. We have 4 children whom

17. we homeschool.

18. I can probably answer all of your general homeschooling questions in 6 points:

19. Yes, we enjoy homeschooling.

20. Oh, you could too do it too.

21. I often don't have that much patience either.

22. I don't know how long we will homeschool; we take it year by year. Sometimes day by day.

23. For sports, we have the kids participate in various leagues.

24. The kids are very socialized.

25. I, on the other hand, do not feel very socialized.

26. Sadly, most of my socialization these days is virtual a la Facebook, Blogger, and WordPress.

27. My major is in Secondary Education and English.

28. I taught in the public school system for 2 years.

29. I did not like teaching in the public school system.

30. So I moved into the business world where I worked until I started having babies and wanted to be home with them.

31. I still teach.

32. I have an online class called Write4Homeschool.

33. I was adopted by my parents when I was 4 days old.

34. I was adopted by the Lord Jesus Christ when I was 7 years old.

35. I love easily.

36. I laugh easily.

37. Since having children, I have learned about other things I do easily

38. like lose my temper.

39. I am working on being a more patient mother.

40 My weaknesses are chocolate,

41. books,

42. and Starbucks, though

43. I don't like coffee, so I only indulge in their Shaken Green Iced Tea.

44. I enjoy writing

45. and photography.

46. I love to bake, but

47. I do not like to cook.

48. Even though it is not enjoyable, I wish I was a better cook.

49. I love animals.

50. When I was little, all I wanted was to become a vet.

51. If I had it to do all over again, I would have gone into counseling or

52. majored in history.

53. History fascinates me now that I see its value.

54. I am not a little kid person.

55. I have changed only 2 poopy diapers in my life that were not my kids' poopy diapers.

56. I love to read.

57. Even though I have a degree in English Education, I prefer contemporary novels over classic tales.

58. I have been bungee jumping.

59. I enjoyed it and would do it again.

60. Someday I would like to go skydiving

61. or hang gliding.

62. One of my pet peeves is seeing poor grammar or incorrect spelling on a menu, sign, bulletin, brochure, or the like.

63. I have done some freelance editing and proofreading.

64. One such job landed me a little writing gig.

65. My name is now on an obscure (and likely out-of-print) GRE and SAT Study Guide.

66. I am very particular about how my dishwasher is loaded.

67. I don't like to exercise unless I am playing a sport.

68. Volleyball is my favorite sport to play.

69. I was captain of my high school volleyball team.

70. I don't like shopping.

71. I'm not a sucker for jewelry

72. or shoes.

73. I am fashionably challenged

74. and I have no idea what to do with my hair most of the time.

75. I am very punctual.

76. I've always wanted to wait tables.

77. I enjoy scrapbooking,

78. and I am hopelessly behind on all of my babies' books.

79. I now prefer digital scrapbooking

80. but will have to finish up those non-virtual baby books someday because all of the babies arrived before I owned my first digital camera.

81. Someday I want to learn how to quilt

82. and play the drums

83. and guitar.

84. I play the piano. Sort of.

85. My parents made me take lessons. I learned a little bit in spite of the fact that I hated taking lessons.

86. Photography is my new hobby.

87. I am working to get better at it.

88. Blogging and photography are kind of my way of keeping my identity intact outside of diapers, naptimes, Legos, Barbies, Polly Pockets, Easy Bake ovens, blocks, and video games.

89. Although I'll always be a Mom, there has to be something of me left when they leave.

90. When it is just Mark and me, I want to travel.

91. I'd like to hit all of those places on that mental list of mine.

92. I have never experienced great tragedy.

93. I often wonder if the shoe will drop right around the corner.

94. I worry a lot.

95. I am slowly learning to completely trust in God,

96. to let go,

97. and let Him mold me and push me in the direction I should go for His purpose.

98. I realize I am completely, utterly, and so richly blessed;

99. I am married to my best friend and the love of my life,

100. and I have 4 beautiful, smart, fun-loving, compassionate children.

8 comments:

  1. Well done! :) I loved your list and learned more about you! I did a "100 things" post when I hit 100 blog posts. I actually stopped posting as often when I saw that looming in the distance, since there was one person who was "looking" for my 100 things post. Silly, I know. It's funny how going a certain direction in your facts will take you down a totally different path than you would have thought. Or maybe that's just me... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, love your 100 list...just "met" you today, and we seem to have quite a few things in common - four kids, homeschooling, love for Jesus, love of travel and Starbucks (except I'm a coffee junkie), reading, writing, photography, and the spelling pet peeve thing. Hate that. No pressure to respond - I realize I'm a complete stranger who just asked you in another comment to comment on the Archeological Bible, but when you put your info out there on the big ol' web, you kinda wonder if anyone will think you're worth reading about, and well, I just wanted to let you know that you are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am stopping by from my blog to yours. After reading a 100 things about you, I've learned we have a few things in common. I hate teaching (in school), I love writing and photography, I have a list of probably 100 places I'd like to visit but I enjoy living in Italy at the moment. I like digital scrapbooking, I love to bake (and cook), etc. :) Thanks for sharing random things about you.
    Mira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your list Kathleen, you are so very blessed! I would love to have tea with you sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I've read this before! Love it. We have quite a few things in common. And then some things not so much! LOL I'm definitely not athletic at all. And I was a fashion major, although now being a mom, I wear jeans and sweatshirts if I can get away with it. And most days, I wish I could leave the house in pajamas. I also always spot misspellings, etc. although when I'm tired, I probably make a few mistakes myself. So, can't judge. In fact I left a word out of my post earlier and didn't bother to change it. I'm sure you caught it! ;) Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyable. Particularily loved your comments regarding homeschooling. I have homeschooled off and on in the past and think it the best way to school, hands down. My six kids are in a school right now. The plan is to homeschool my three youngest through 8th grade (starting next year) Thank you for all the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was actually looking for Mark and I wound up here. Ask him if he remembers a guy named Kerry who went to Africa with him in the late 80's. He can email me at my gmail account. username: jedifirecats

    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I came across your website and found it very enjoyable. I just had a couple of questions so if you could e-mail me back that would be great!

    ReplyDelete